Tel: +66 (0) 2 679 1844 (GMT +07:00 hours)
Andrew has practiced law in Thailand since 1971, and his experience extends across the full range of legal services undertaken by the firm. He is the firm’s principal contact partner for a range of blue chip American and European corporate clients.
Andrew has assisted foreign clients in all aspects of Thailand’s investment related laws, including obtaining of promotional privileges from Thailand’s Board of Investment. He has advised on and structured foreign direct investments in Thailand’s manufacturing sector in such diverse businesses as brewing, silverware, porcelain, fuels and lubricants, automotive parts, garments, shoes, watches and jewellery, petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals and beverages. He has advised international petroleum companies in structuring participations in Thai exploration concessions, including farm-in arrangements and negotiations with the Thai regulator. He advises on franchising arrangements, as well as structuring investments in trading and service business operations. Some of Andrew’s more recent investment-related matters include:
- restructuring the Thailand operations of a worldwide teaching and cultural organization;
- establishing the business presence of a foreign investor engaged by the Royal Thai government to provide baggage handling services at Bangkok’s airport.
Andrew regularly advises the firm’s individual and corporate clients in property transactions. In a recent case he acted for a foreign government in connection with its sale of a portion of its embassy site, which was at the time the highest-value reported land sale in Thai history.
Andrew has developed a significant banking and finance practice. He has advised offshore banks on lending and other financing arrangements with Thai corporate borrowers, including the taking and enforcement of Thai security. Andrew has also advised clients on listing and mandatory tender offer rules under Thailand’s Securities and Exchange Act, and has advised the UK Government’s export credit agency on security arrangements in Thailand for its “lender of last resort” service to British exporters.
Andrew regularly assists clients in corporate workouts and dispute resolution proceedings, providing litigation support both to plaintiffs and defendants in the Thai courts, including enforcement of foreign arbitral awards and bankruptcy restructuring.
Andrew advises regularly on workplace relations issues, and is the Thailand representative of the Employment Law Alliance (www.employmentlawalliance.com).READ MORE ABOUT ANDREW
Andrew is a director for a variety of companies in Thailand, including:
- Orica Mining Services (Thailand) Ltd. – Commercial explosives
- S.A.B. (Thailand) Ltd. – Rolex brand watches
- Chanel (Thailand) Ltd. – High-end fashion goods
- QS Retail (Thailand) Ltd. – Quiksilver and Roxy brand apparel and merchandise
Andrew has authored the following publications:
- Co-author, “Guide to Telecommunications in Thailand”
- Co-author, Thailand Chapter of “Corporate Governance” guide (part of the “Getting the Deal Through” series)
- Author, Online Labour Guide to Thai Labour Law (published by the Employment Law Alliance)
Some of Andrew’s other activities and achievements in Thailand include:
- Member, Royal Bangkok Sports Club
- Member, Siam Society
- Member, Thailand Sub-Aqua Club