Tel: +66 (0) 2 679 1844 (GMT +07:00 hours)
Stephen represents and advises companies and individuals on a wide range of commercial law issues. He represents multinational companies with operations and subsidiaries in Thailand and has substantial experience advising multinational corporations on joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions in Thailand, including:
- FNZ Group in connection with its entry into the Thai securities market to provide securities related services to financial institutions and other financial intermediaries.
- DraftFCB’s joint venture arrangement for operations in Southeast Asia and subsequent divestment of its interests in Prakit Holdings Public Company Limited to its Thai partner.
- Itochu’s acquisition of Dole’s agricultural and food processing business in Thailand.
- FMC’s purchase of Dupont’s Thai crop protection business.
- A Hong Kong listed entity’s spinoff of its Cayman Islands subsidiary to shareholders in Thailand by way of introduction.
- Synthomer in its share purchase of Hexion’s two Thailand subsidiaries.
Stephen also has over 20 years experience advising lenders and borrowers in a variety of lending transactions, including private note placements, synthetic leases, and secured and unsecured loans.
Stephen has extensive experience supervising litigation matters in Thailand, with an emphasis on employment disputes. He has spoken on employment law issues in Thailand and abroad (e.g., South Korea, Philippines, Singapore).
He has acted as local counsel for Chanel in connection with its operations in Thailand and corporate restructuring matters, including advice on its first ever fashion show in Thailand in 2018, and on various employment and leasing matters.
Stephen represents the firm at the Inter Pacific Bar Association (IPBA), Employment Law Alliance (ELA) and the British Chamber of Commerce in Thailand. He has spoken at events organized by the ELA and IPBA, among others. He has also written articles and news items on U.S. and Thai law that are routinely published on the PriceSanond website. Most recently, Stephen prepared the Thai chapter to the ELA’s Global Employer Handbook.
Before joining PriceSanond in 2008, Stephen was general manager of legal services from 2002 until 2008 at ICR (Thailand), a senior associate with Wilson Sonsini and Skadden Arps and an associate at White & Case in Los Angeles, focusing on Banking and Institutional Investing. Before practicing law, Stephen worked for two years as an economist with the Federal Reserve Board of Governors in Washington, D.C.
Stephen has been granted permanent residency in Thailand.
Corporate/M&A: Stephen’s corporate and M&A experience includes, among other matters, advising FNZ in its expansion into Thailand’s securities market, representing Itochu in its acquisition of Dole’s agricultural and food processing business in Thailand, representing FMC in its purchase of Dupont’s Thai crop protection business, and representing Synthomer in its share purchase of Hexion’s two Thailand subsidiaries. Stephen also provides general corporate, investment and labor advice to many other foreign companies doing business in Thailand, including advice on Thailand’s Foreign Business Act and Thailand’s Treaty of Amity with the US.
Foreign Direct Investment: Stephen has assisted foreign clients in all aspects of Thailand’s investment related laws, including assistance in obtaining promotional privileges from Thailand’s Board of Investment. He has advised on and structured foreign direct investments in Thailand’s manufacturing sector.
Securities: Stephen has developed an extensive practice in Thailand’s securities laws. He has advised a major advertising agency on mandatory tender requirements applicable to its divestment of its joint venture interest in a Thai public entity. He has advised asset management funds on providing investment advisory services in Thailand and marketing their offerings to Thai investors in accordance with Thailand’s securities laws.
Banking and Institutional Investing: Before coming to Thailand in 2002, Stephen had extensive experience in banking and institutional investing, advising both lenders and borrowers. He has expanded that practice in Thailand, in particular in connection with advising clients on Thailand’s suretyship laws. He has advised offshore banks on lending and other financing arrangements with Thai corporate borrowers, including the taking and enforcement of Thai security.
Labour: Stephen has advised many of the firm’s clients on employment related laws, helping them navigate Thailand’s onerous termination provisions under the Labour Protection Act.
Dispute Resolution: Stephen regularly works with Thai colleagues in the firm’s dispute resolution practice, with a focus on advising employers in connection with employment related disputes.
Real Property: Stephen regularly advises the firm’s individual and corporate clients in property transactions, including leaseholds for corporate clients and investments in residential real estate in Thailand’s resort areas of Phuket and Samui.
Selected Positions, Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Member, Banking, Finance and Securities Committee, IPBA, 2018 to present.
- Member, Employment and Immigration Law Committee, IPBA, 2018 to present.
- Member, Corporate Counsel Committee, IPBA, 2018 to present.
In addition to his duties with the IPBA, Stephen has also represented PriceSanond before the Employment Law Alliance and the British Chamber of Commerce Thailand since 2017.
Selected Speaking Engagements:
- APAC Executive Client Summit, Current Employment Law Issues, hosted by Kim & Chang, Seoul, 15 June 2018.
- AP Client Conference Panel – Global Employment: Handling Cross-Border Employment Issues, hosted by SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan, Manila,13 March 2018.
- Thai Chapter to the Employment Law Alliance’s, “APAC Family Leave Policy Survey” 2018
- Thai Chapter to the Employment Law Alliance’s “Global Employer Handbook” 2018