On March 6, 2015, the Director-General of the Employment Department issued a notification stating that the following activities are not considered “work” under the Thai Alien Occupation Act, B.E. 2551:
- Attending a conference, discussion or seminar.
- Attending an exhibition or trade show.
- Attending a business visit or business negotiation.
- Attending an academic lecture.
- Attending a training course or technical seminar.
- Purchasing goods at a trade show.
- Participating in a board of directors’ meeting.
The Office of Foreign Workers issued guidelines covering the first six of these activities in 2013. The Director-General’s notification gives those guidelines legal effect while adding an activity not covered in the earlier guidelines: participating in a board of directors’ meeting.